The Belize Port Authority's responsibilities are:
- Disseminate relevant information to all Mariners.
- Hurricane Precautionary advice
- The latest bulletins on the progress of the storm
- Liaise with Belize City Manager to ensure that Swing Bridge, Bel-China and Belcan Bridges are opened to enable boats and barges to be taken to safe mooring.
- Direct all vessels in port to safe harbour.
- Broadcast all relevant information relating to Search, Rescue and Evacuation Operations.
- Broadcast all relevant information relating to access operations.
- Ensure that all harbour and port operations return to normal.
- To use all available media to educate the public about potential disasters and the appropriate contingency plans in order to mitigate the impact of disasters to mariners.
- To disseminate accurate and updated information regarding disasters to mariners in an efficient manner.
- To establish internal and external communication networks with Disaster Management Committees.
- To verify that the Emergency Warning System is operational and effective.
- To disseminate all relevant decisions of NEMO to Mariners.
The BPA is a member of the following Emergency Management Committees:
- Education, Information, Communication, and Warning Committee
- Search, Rescue and Evacuation Committee
- Restoration of Utilities and Access Committee
- National Emergency Management Organization
- City Emergency Management Organization